Skip to main content

Interview With Shaun Groves

I’m not a reporter, I’m not experienced in the least with interviewing, but, I was honoured to be able to interview  Shaun Groves .

In case you don’t know who he is, I’ll share with you what little I know about him.  He’s a Christian musician that works with Compassion International to release children from poverty in Jesus name. He is a blogger who speaks truth and encouragement to all. He is a husband, father and friend. I really know very little about him. I have never had the opportunity to meet him and speak with him face to face. All I really know about him, is what he chooses to share on his blog.  And that’s enough for me.

Very often, when I’ve read his blog post, he’s not only given me ‘food for thought’, he’s filled me right up. He writes things that really make you stand back and take a long, hard look at your life and try to see what you can do differently.  He encourages Christians everywhere, to stand up for what they believe in and give back.

I was very excited to be given this opportunity. I really had no idea what to ask. Eventually, after almost a week of thinking about it, I decided on these questions:

1) How did you come up with the title "Third World Symphony"?

Shaun - I actually stumbled upon an album by that title on iTunes one day. I loved it. I used it in conversation almost immediately when trying to describe to someone that the developing world is not a place of sorrow and injustice and poverty for me. Those things certainly exists but I've found so much more on my trips there, gained so much more from relationships forged there. The people of the third world have much to teach us - so beautiful and wise and inspiring. They see God from an angle I simply can't most days here in the first world. I told this friend of mine that the third world used to be so dissonant for me, a place of heartache, a place I didn't want to contemplate, let alone visit. But it has become symphonic - a thing of immense beauty.

2) Why and when did you get involved with Compassion International?

Shaun - Compassion asked me to speak on their behalf at my concerts starting way back in 2001. Because I'm a horribly skeptical person I said No for many years. Then, in 2005, after praying for some time that God would give a purpose to my growing platform, I took them up on their offer to show me their ministry. I traveled with Compassion to El Salvador, met a little girl named Yanci that my family sponsored, and, well, I was convinced. I looked in file cabinets, asked hard questions, wrestled and doubted and fought but couldn't get away from the truth: God cares about the vulnerable and poor and Compassion's ministry to them is effective and biblical.

Compassion meets the physical and spiritual needs of children in 26 of the world's poorest countries - working exclusively through the local church. I believe the Church is the most powerful entity on the planet and I believe it is the Church's responsibility alone to meet the physical and spiritual needs of these children. And Compassion empowers the local church to do just that - in a way that is recognized by watchdog groups as highly effective and efficient.

So I drank the Kool-aid, came home and sold my house and changed the way I live so that my family and I can partner with Compassion in a way they need us to - to see more children released from poverty in Jesus' name.

 

Does this encourage you to sponsor a child? You can save a life here. Or maybe buy Shaun’s new album

Feel free to share your thoughts, I would love to hear them!

 

 

Also, I’m still waiting for a reply on the Beth Moore simulcast. Any takers?

*Andrea*

Comments

Laura said…
Ohhh, I would sooo love to go. I know exactly what I am missing out on and it bugs me. I honestly wish I didn't have to decline, but I can only stretch myself so far. I'm sure I will be busy with preparations, setting tables and making floral arrangements. I wish you a truly amazing experience, getting "a fresh word" from God through Beth, worshipping with Travis and the team (they simply are amazing - very gifted and willing to use and share their musical gifts, but honestly so humble about it and desiring for God to get all the glory) and sharing with other women there. At this point, I will plan to go to the next simulcast Lord willing. Please, share with me what you learn there!
*Andrea* said…
I will definitely share with you what I learn, don't worry. I probably won't be able to talk about anything else for weeks! I'm so excited, 1 more sleep!
You'll have a great time in your preparations as well, it's what you enjoy doing and you do it well!

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry. Fun?

   I never totally understood why my mom always had a table in the laundry room. Like really, what is the point? Your down there all by yourself folding laundry. How fun is that? Very Very Fun!! And SOOOOO Quiet!!!          Growing up I did not enjoy folding laundry because it usually meant being in the cold, damp basement by yourself with just you and a table full of laundry. It was not exciting at all. I would have much rather brought the laundry upstairs and folded it in the living room instead of in the 'dungeon'. Our basement wasn't that bad, it was just very cold, and eerily quiet when you were down there alone and for a girl (with a very active imagination) that's a scary place to be. I mean who knows what goes on down there when nobody's around, right? Or so, I thought. Now that I'm older however, I totally get it. Yesterday, I put a table in my laundry room. I...                  LOVE...                                              IT!

My Spirited, trouble making, blessings.

    My children are a handful some days (usually the days that I’m tired and have limited patience), my daughter is ‘spirited’ and my son is just a trouble maker. He loves to make people laugh and does so in a variety of different ways. Take last week for example, He decided to crawl onto our table (which is higher than normal), stand and then touch my light fixtures. Well, the other two babies that I babysit thought this was hilarious, so they would laugh and he would keep doing it. Then mom (me) seeing what was happening, would come take him off the table, tell him to stay off and carry about my business. However, that doesn’t work with him very well. So he would do it all over again and get the same response from his ‘audience’.  Finally, in order to make him stop, I had to put him into his crib where he couldn’t get out. My daughter is very exuberant. Anyone who knows her can attest to that. When she walks into a room, you know .  She is a child who is ‘more’. More persistent, mo

Changes I’m making in 2012

There’s been a lot of talk about New years resolutions lately, so I thought I’d join in and write about it as well.  However, I don’t make resolutions, because frankly, I don’t/can’t/won’t keep them. I’m just not good at that. There are people who are, and to you I give lots of credit! This year, though, I plan to work on and change some things in my life. I’ll share them with you: - Study God’s word more in depth . I read my Bible twice a day, but I don’t take the extra time and really study it. I’d like to dig deeper and learn more, sometimes I feel like I’m still ‘hungry’ after reading and I want to take the time to learn how to get ‘full’. - Spend more time ‘watching’ my kids . I don’t mean caring for them, I do that all the time. What I mean is I want to actually sit back and watch them at play. Get to know their personalities better. What better way to do that than to watch them in action? - Be a better example . I’m really starting to see how much my kids learn from me. I’v