Skip to main content

My Mid-Life Crisis?


This has been a very difficult year for me. I turned 35 this year and I feel like I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis. I have been trying to 'find' myself again. For the last 12 years I have pretty much had things figured out but this year when my youngest started grade 2, it felt like my whole life tipped over.

Now, there wasn't any outward tragedy that I went through, no, it was more of an emotional, internal struggle that has been taking place. Realizing that my family doesn't need me the same way, but they still need me. Having a lot more free time and not knowing how to fill it, actually, to say that I didn't want to do my domestic chores to fill my time would be more accurate.

So many decisions were suddenly available to me, decisions I hadn't considered in years. "Do I get a job? Full or part time? What kind of job? Do I go to school - just take some courses or get a degree? What kind of courses/degree? Do we have the money for me to go to school" - So many questions and not many answers.

The biggest question was "How will that affect our family"? My husband is my best friend and he is willing to ask me the really tough questions, questions that if I'm honest, I won't always like the answer. When my husband asked me this and we really discussed it (my first priorities should be to my family, not my career), I saw what was beginning to take hold of my heart. I wanted it to be about me. I was living in the kingdom of self and not giving thought to how my decisions would affect anyone else. I just knew that I was going crazy in my head and I needed to figure out MY future right now! I was so focused on 'being someone' to impress the world with what I had accomplished that I wasn't able to see what my actions and attitudes were teaching my children.

Once the storm passed and I was able to see things a little more clearly, I also saw what kind of example I had been to my children. As their mother, I need to try to be an example to them and point them to Christ in everything I say and do. When I'm all wrapped up in me, I am unable to point them to the only one who can save them. In my selfishness, I was showing them how to turn away from Him and try to do it on my own, not to trust in the Lord for all things.

I am very thankful that the Lord opened my eyes to all this when it was still the beginning. If I would have continued on in my selfishness, I am afraid to think about the damage that could have happened.

I am still considering (and struggling through) what I would like to do in my future, however, I have a very different mind about it now. My husband has been instrumental in helping me make my decisions, he has really helped me to see things rationally. In order for me to get to this point though, I had to be willing to hear what he was saying and not what I thought he was saying. Communication is a big part of every marriage, not just talking but being able to listen to each other objectively. This is something that I'm still learning to do every day.

We are all together on this journey, encourage those you know whenever you have the opportunity!

With Love: Andrea


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes I’m making in 2012

There’s been a lot of talk about New years resolutions lately, so I thought I’d join in and write about it as well.  However, I don’t make resolutions, because frankly, I don’t/can’t/won’t keep them. I’m just not good at that. There are people who are, and to you I give lots of credit! This year, though, I plan to work on and change some things in my life. I’ll share them with you: - Study God’s word more in depth . I read my Bible twice a day, but I don’t take the extra time and really study it. I’d like to dig deeper and learn more, sometimes I feel like I’m still ‘hungry’ after reading and I want to take the time to learn how to get ‘full’. - Spend more time ‘watching’ my kids . I don’t mean caring for them, I do that all the time. What I mean is I want to actually sit back and watch them at play. Get to know their personalities better. What better way to do that than to watch them in action? - Be a better example . I’m really starting to see how much my kids learn from me. I’v

Laundry. Fun?

   I never totally understood why my mom always had a table in the laundry room. Like really, what is the point? Your down there all by yourself folding laundry. How fun is that? Very Very Fun!! And SOOOOO Quiet!!!          Growing up I did not enjoy folding laundry because it usually meant being in the cold, damp basement by yourself with just you and a table full of laundry. It was not exciting at all. I would have much rather brought the laundry upstairs and folded it in the living room instead of in the 'dungeon'. Our basement wasn't that bad, it was just very cold, and eerily quiet when you were down there alone and for a girl (with a very active imagination) that's a scary place to be. I mean who knows what goes on down there when nobody's around, right? Or so, I thought. Now that I'm older however, I totally get it. Yesterday, I put a table in my laundry room. I...                  LOVE...                                              IT!

My Ministry???

Hey for those of you who read my Sunday post and are waiting to meet our newest addition, Sorry to disappoint but I haven't gotten the picture yet. I can hardly wait to get it!!        I've been wondering for a while now just how does God want me to serve him? What is my ministry? God calls each and everyone of his children to serve him in some way or another and I wasn't sure what mine was. Until now. I really believe that at this point in my life, my ministry is kids. You see, I babysit for 4, I have 2 of my own and I write to 3 sponsor children. It really makes sense that this would be my ministry. On top of all that I feel that I would like to be a Sunday school teacher. Kids as my ministry seems strange to me cause I did NOT ever want to have kids. That is until I met my husband. I always thought that kids were time consuming, money consuming, they ruin your body, make your hair turn grey, need I say more? They were definitely not part of my life plan nor would they f